Monday, March 26, 2012

From the Gospel – 6

Here are a few more words of Sri Ramakrishna about preaching.


KESHAB (to the Master): "How long will you hide yourself in this way? I dare say people will be thronging here by and by in great crowds."

MASTER: "What are you talking of? I only eat and drink and sing God's name. I know nothing about gathering crowds. Hanuman once declared: 'I know nothing about the day of the week or the position of the moon and stars in the sky. I simply meditate on Rama.'"

KESHAB: "All right, sir, I shall gather the crowd. But they all must come to your place."

MASTER: "I am the dust of the dust of everybody's feet. If anyone is gracious enough to come here, he is welcome."

KESHAB: "Whatever you may say, sir, your advent cannot be in vain."

                                                               * * * * *

On another occasion, when Sri Ramakrishna was discussing with Dr Sarkar regarding himself, he says: "Once I went to a certain place with Mathur Babu. Many pundits came forward to argue with me. And you all know that I am a fool. (All laugh.) The pundits saw that strange mood of mine. When the conversation was over, they said to me: 'Sir, after hearing your words, all that we have studied before, our knowledge and scholarship, has proved to be mere spittle. Now we realize that a man does not lack wisdom if he has the grace of God. The fool becomes wise and the mute eloquent.' Therefore I say that a man does not become a scholar by the mere study of books.

Yes, how true it is! How can a man who has the grace of God lack knowledge? Look at me. I am a fool. I do not know anything. Then who is it that utters these words? The reservoir of the Knowledge of God is inexhaustible. There are grain-dealers at Kamarpukur. When selling paddy, one man weighs the grain on the scales and another man pushes it to him from a heap. It is the duty of the second man to keep a constant supply of grain on the scales by pushing it from the big heap. It is the same with my words. No sooner are they about to run short than the Divine Mother sends a new supply from Her Inexhaustible storehouse of Knowledge.

You know I am a fool. I know nothing. Then who is it that says all these things? I say to the Divine Mother: 'O Mother, I am the machine and Thou art the Operator. I am the house and Thou art the Indweller. I am the chariot and Thou art the Charioteer. I do as Thou makest me do; I speak as Thou makest me speak; I move as Thou makest me move. It is not I! It is not I! It is all Thou! It is all Thou!' Hers is the glory; we are only Her instruments. Once Radha, to prove her chastity, carried on her head a pitcher filled with water. The pitcher had a thousand holes, but not a drop of water spilled. People began to praise her, saying, 'Such a chaste woman the world will never see again!' Then Radha said to them: 'Why do you praise me? Say: Glory unto Krishna! Hail Krishna! I am only His handmaid.' ”

One distinguishing quality of truly great people is their humility. 

_______________
A note from the Editor:  When I read for the first time the views of Sri Ramakrishna on teaching and preaching in the Gospel of Sri Ramakrishna (presented in Parts 4, 5 and 6), I pondered for many days whether I have the authority to write anything about Sri Ramakrishna or about any other holy person or about God. Then I decided to get the answer from Sri Ramakrishna himself. I got the answer that I should continue what I am doing and also that I should do it much more. As I am very keen that whatever I am writing here should be really worthwhile I am not able to do this more frequently. I hope and pray that Almighty would feed me with enough energy, leisure, and shraddha (the most important requirement) to do this work as much as He would desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be a responsible surfer, don't abuse/spam.